The UK’s Online Farmers Market
Families shopping Direct from the UKs best artisan makers
Everything You Need To Know About Setting Up Your New Store On Maker2u
Welcome to Maker2u the UKs New Online Boutique Marketplace.
Maker2u allows you to sell your artisan grocery products directly to shoppers around the UK and receive 95% of the sale price. (excluding credit card fees)
Maker2u has already been operating for 12 months in New Zealand where it has built a community of around 500 makers and thousands of loyal customers.
- It is Free for artisan grocery businesses to set up a store on Maker2u.
- The marketplace charges 5% commission on sales. (plus credit card fees)
Our philosophy is to do everything we can to help small businesses get the maximum share of the value they create – so they can thrive and build stronger communities.’
Who can sell on Maker2u?
If your products are:
- Made in the UK
- Are Grocery, Health & Beauty, Garden or Pet food products
Please watch our simple “How To create a store” video on Youtube:
To Set Up Your New Store Follow The Steps Below:
- Please Click here: https://maker2u.co.uk/
- Select “login/register” at the top of the home page.
- Fill in the details under ‘register’.
- Make sure you click ‘I am a Vendor’.
- Click ‘I have read the ‘Terms and Conditions’.
- We will then send you an email with your username and password.
- Go to: https://maker2u.co.uk/ and log in.
- Fill in the details of your business and products.
- Fill in the wholesale prices if you want to sell to cafes etc…
Setting Up The Products In Your Store.
To set up a new product in your store, click on the “products” tab on the left hand menu of your store’s dashboard, then click “Add new product”. Follow the advice below to set up your products for success:
Write a Helpful Product Name:
Maker2u allows shoppers to use site-search to find the product type they want – such as “jam”. Search relies on the words used in the ‘Product Name’ and ‘Tags’. So, in the Product Name, please include the generic word for that type of product. So ‘Sallys Strawberry Jam’ is a better product name than ‘Sallys Strawberry Delight’ because the latter doesn’t mention that its “jam”.
Use Good Product Images:
- Your product images need to be 600 x 600 pixels.
- Make sure your images are not blurred and not too big!
- If you are having trouble email firstname.lastname@example.org to resize images for you.
- When you upload your image you will see a ‘title’ for the image and also an ‘ALT text’ area. Please create a title that describes what the product is, and also describe the product briefly in the ‘ALT text’ area. The Title and the ALT text will tell Google what the image shows.
Create Useful Product Descriptions:
Each product has a short and a long product description. Please create a short description (which displays on the right side of the product image) and a longer description (which displays on the bottom of the product image). In the descriptions tell the customer about your product:
- What type of product is it?
- Whats important or different about the product?
- What’s in your product?
- Where and how is your product is made?
- What benefits does the product offer a customer?
- How to use / cook with the product?
- Why the product is unique or special?
Use Your “Lowest Anywhere” Pricing:
Maker2u’s purpose is to allow shoppers to buy direct from you and thereby get a much better deal than elsewhere online or in shops. This is really important during coronavirus when families of all kinds are looking to shop online to stay safe. If you can’t match your product’s lowest price anywhere on Maker2u then please email email@example.com
Set up economic “product” bundles:
Buyers on Maker2u may have to pay for shipping. To make this economic for them we suggest you price as low as possible – and that you scale up the size of your “product” packs/bundles to help absorb the fixed costs of freight. We recommend your “products” are value bundles such as cases of wine or 6 packs of jam jars etc… We also highly recommend you use the ‘Free shipping over a certain spend’ option.
Set Up Your Products for wholesale:
Maker2u allows you to sell directly to wholesale customers through the same store and we’ll be actively promoting the marketplace to cafes, bars and restaurants. You can add a wholesale price and volume to each product in your store. These prices will only be visible to approved wholesale customers who are logged in.
Great wholesale bundles and prices for hospitality buyers
You should create wholesale bundles in your store that are designed for hospitality buyers. For example a box of 24 jars of jam – with a great wholesale price.
Add your Wholesale Products To The ‘wholesale’ category and use the word ‘wholesale’ as one of your tags:
Only registered wholesale buyers will see your wholesale prices. Once you’ve created a wholesale bundled “product” (such as a box of 10 salamis), make it easy for hospitality buyers to find your product by adding it to the “wholesale” category. You do this in the product’s ‘settings’. Also in the settings, please add “wholesale” to the product tags. Get in touch if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
To add your shipping settings, login to your dashboard, click settings, then click ‘shipping’.
We have left the default shipping prices to £0. Please enter your own shipping settings in your store on Maker2u. The shipping setting features are as follows:
- Base rate: (this is the base price for your store, if you only fill in this field and not #2 then this ‘Base Rate’ will become a ‘Flat rate’ and your store will show a ‘Flat rate’ badge in your store.)
- Per additional Product: (this field allows you to add an extra shipping price (ontop of the base rate) for each additional product customers purchase from your store in a single order)
- Free shipping for orders over: (Here you can add a value which customers can have free shipping over)
If #2, the Per additional product charge, is left at £0 then this is what is called offering a ‘Flat Rate’ and the store will then automatically display a badge advertising the flat shipping rate offered.
Give Customers a Great Service!
Maker2u is a cooperative project! It’s really up to makers to ensure it’s a success for the community selling on the marketplace.
- Set your prices as low as you can. The whole idea of Maker2u is that shoppers can get a good deal by buying directly from the maker rather than through a distributor. Please do everything you can to help Maker2u support UK families during the coronavirus.
- Create bundled products at a price that encourages shoppers to think of Maker2u as a place to buy more cheaply – in bulk, direct from the maker.
- Ensure your products are high quality.
- Ship your orders as quickly as possible.
- Pack your orders very well.
- Use a high-quality courier service.
- Resolve any customer service issues quickly and to the customer’s satisfaction.
- Promote Maker2u to your friends on Instagram, Facebook and other social media. THIS IS CRUCIAL
Payments from Maker2u to you the Maker:
- You get paid on the Monday following the ‘completion’ of your order in the dashboard of your store.
- 5% (Plus the credit card fees) is deducted from the the sale you make in your store. (this includes the product and shipping price)
- You must have a Paypal account for us to be able to pay you. If you don’t have a Paypal account, please click here to set one up: https://www.paypal.com/uk/signin
Set Sensible Stock Levels in Your Store
Please make sure the stock levels of each product in your store reflect exactly what you have in stock.
This is critical because it will allow shoppers to place their orders with makers who do actually have stock to send them.
Are you selling Alcohol on Maker2u?
If you are selling Alcohol on Maker2u, please make sure you tick the box that say you sell alcoholic products and then enter your alcohol license number and upload your alcohol license. (In your dashboard click ‘Settings’ then click ‘Alcohol license’.)